column-right-inner { position: fixed; }

Tuesday, 6 August 2013

My debut novel


I've wanted to write a novel for much longer than I've wanted to make picture books - which makes the release (in September) of my first novel quite special for me. It's not a kids novel either - so it's a step in a strange new direction. Staying on the topic of strange... the book deals with the aftermath of the launch of a nuclear powered space ship that was built in secret by the apartheid government. The novel lands itself in the Speculative Fiction/Thriller genre - which is a complicated way of saying that it is an easy read about weird stuff. I was even lucky enough to be able to design and illustrate the cover - which depicts two bat-eared foxes gazing up at the sky-bound rocket.

South African science and non-standard fiction novels are beginning to blossom all around the place - and my publisher here, Umuzi, publishes the bulk of them. If you're local, then keep an eye out for their books - and if you're based somewhere else in the world, I'd suggest you order a couple online. There's a bizarre non-conforming originality to these novels, that you'd be hard pressed to find elsewhere. 

http://www.randomstruik.co.za/books/the-space-race/5154

No comments: